Avidemux is a free video editor which has been designed specifically for filtering, cutting and encoding tasks. Supporting a wide array of file types including MPEG, AVI, MKV, ASF and MP4, Avidemux is compatible with BSD, Linux, Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X operating systems under the GNU GPL license.
It uses a variety of codecs and automates tasks by creating projects and placing them into job queues. The Spartan interface of Avidemux does not contain any central pool meant for importing images, video clips and audio files.
- Non-linear video editing.
- Advanced scripting available both for its command and GUI line modes.
- Supports a non-project system where configurations can be created and saved by users without making a project file.
- Availability of project queue system.
- Transcoding into various formats.
- Application of filters and effects.
- Built-in subtitle processor for rendering hard subtitles and optical character recognition of DVD subtitles.
- Insertion or extraction of audio streams.
- Powerful scripting capabilities.
- Improved cutting tool.
- Smoother video zooming when windows are resized.